Sudbury Tourism Partnership Newsletter
Upcoming Events in Sudbury
- NOJHL Showcase, October 11-12
- Theatre Cambrian presents "EVITA", October 6-22
- Game Changers special exhibit at Science North until January 8
- Voyage of Time in 3D at Science North’s IMAX theatre to October 31
- Sudbury Theatre Centre presents "Rearview", October 13 – November 9
- Théâtre du Nouvel-Ontario presents "Rearview" en français, October 13 – November 9
- New Sudbury Centre presents, "Be You Paint Party", October 13
- Terror Train at NORMHC, October 1-30
- Halloween at Dynamic Earth, Pumpkinferno and the Tunnel of Terror, October 7-30
- CIM MEMO Conference, October 16-18
- Theatre Cambrian Karaoke Mondays until January 30
- Bridges to Better Business Conference, October 17-18
- Sudbury Theatre Centre presents "Confessions of a Redheaded Coffeeshop Girl", October 20-21
- Star Party at Science North, October 21
- Sudbury Regional Conference,
- Northern Voices / Voix boréales, October 22
- Memorial Tribute to Stompin’ Tom Connors, October 22
- Live 2 Lead Sudbury, October 27
- Sudbury Theatre Centre presents an STC Annual Gala Dinner & Auction,
- Sudbury Symphony Orchestra presents "Beethovan’s Salon", October 29
- Theatre Cambrian Dinner Theatre, "Frankie & Johnny", November 4-12
- ARC Climbing Yoga Fitness presents "Reel Rock Film Tour", November 4
- Le Théâtre du Nouvel-Ontario presents "Play – Straight Jacket Winter", November 10-12
- Indie Cinema presents Best of Hot Docs Film Festival, November 10-13
- Sudbury Theatre Centre presents, "The Nutcracker", November 18-20
- Science North presents "Nightlife on the Rocks – Suds", November 18
- Galerie du Nouvel-Ontario (GNO) presents "Le Nouveau Louvre", November 19 - December 23
- Santa Claus Parade, November 19
- The Stampeders at Laurentian University Fraser Auditorium,
- Festival of Lights at Science North, November 24 – January 7
- Theatre Cambrian presents "Little Mermaid", November 24 – December 10
- Sudbury Symphony Orchestra presents "Handel’s Messiah", November 26
For a complete listing of events, please visit our Event Calendar.
Make sure your events are profiled by submitting it via the online form. Take two minutes to upload a photo and provide basic details via the easy-to-use "Submit Your Event" button. Events are published the next business day, if not sooner. Don't miss this opportunity for free publicity and Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Post your events on sudburytourism.ca/events today! Send your ideas, comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Event" in the subject line.
Submit your events.
Have You Got
Your Tickets Yet?
Sign up for the NOTS Summit and let's all give them a strong Sudbury showing! Never held in Sudbury before, so this is your chance to network with your peers in the industry from all over the province!
Registration, Full Agenda, Topics Being Covered and Keynote Speakers available online at https://northernontariotourismsummit.ca/
The City of Greater Sudbury (CGS) is a finalist for the 2016 Ontario Tourism Awards of Excellence in the category of Tourism Marketing and Travel Media Excellence for the Tourism Marketing Partnership Award. The nomination is in recognition of the City's successful execution of last year’s The Amazing Race Canada, Episode 6 project. The awards will be announced at the Tourism Industry Association of Ontario (TIAO) Awards Gala on November 22nd in Ottawa.
For statistical information and summary updates on the five economic development engines, check out the latest edition of the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation (GSDC) Dashboard - always available here.
Labour Force Survey
The September Labour Force Survey was released last week. Greater Sudbury's unemployment rate dropped to 7.3% in September, down from 7.8% in August. There were 500 jobs created increasing the number of people employed in our city to 83,200.
The unemployment rate for Ontario decreased to 6.6% (down from 6.7% in August). Canada's unemployment rate has not changed and sits at 7.0%.
Meetings, Conventions &
Greater Sudbury has successfully advanced to Phase 2 of the bid process for the Canada Summer Games 2021. Following the visit of the Canada Games Council’s Technical Review Committee on August 26th, the community received.... Read more
Tourism Staff are also preparing to attend the Canadian Society of Association Executives Annual Conference in Toronto October 26th-28th and are planning a networking event leading into the conference.
Other Bid Opportunities:
Other bid and event opportunities being worked on and evaluated are:
- Ontario Winter Games in 2020 (in partnership with Sault Ste. Marie),
- Topics in Astroparticle and Underground Physics 2017 conference (TAUP 2017), coming to Canada for the first time,
as well as
- Baseball Canada, Softball Canada, Badminton Canada, and Squash Canada events.
Event Support Program
Some of the upcoming events we've supported, include: Halloween at Dynamic Earth, CIM MEMO 2016, Macalla - An Echo of the Past (AGM), Northern Voices, Best of Hot Docs, SDSC 2nd Annual Futsal Tournament and Maamwizing Indigeneity in the Academy Conference.
Congratulations to NORMHC!!
The Northern Ontario Railroad Museum & Heritage Centre (NORMHC) in Capreol have recently received a special mention (4 blooms) for the Capreol Centennial Riverfront Project for 2018 in the Communities in Bloom Ontario competition.
TEN Calendar of Opportunities
Tourism Excellence North is hosting three (3) workshops in early November: one each in Sudbury, Killarney and Temiskaming Shores/Temagami Region. Read more...
Canada House Contest Update
This past July, visitors to Canada House in London had the opportunity to celebrate the Nobel Prize winning work of Dr. Arthur MacDonald and experience a little bit of what Ontario has to offer, with a chance of winning a trip for four to scenic Sudbury, Ontario. Read more...
Social Media Contest/Draw Results
Evening at the Mansion, Art Gallery Event, 2 tickets
1 pair of weekend passes
New Music Fest,
10 pairs of tickets
*one of the most viewed posts in the history of our Facebook page.
Archived Issues of our Newsletter
for past issues of our Partnership Newsletter. Links are also available through our online Industry Partner
Arts & Culture
Culture Days, a national campaign to promote accessible cultural activities, took place from September 30th to October 2nd. Organizers across the city hosted a total of 15 events during Culture Days, which is less than in previous years. The City of Greater Sudbury (CGS) participated by launching two new publications: the 2016 Cultural Report and the Grant Impact Report on the 2015-2016 Arts & Culture Grant Program. Both documents are available on www.greatersudburyculture.ca.
2016 Cultural Report Card
Cliquez ici pour la version française
2016 Cultural Forum Invitation
The third annual Cultural Forum is scheduled to take place on November 23rd at Imagine Cinema, the new downtown luxury movie theatre, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Based on positive feedback of prior forums this edition has been expanded to a full day with invitations that are being circulated to funding agencies, governmental partners, City representatives and arts, culture and heritage stakeholders. Click the image above to secure your invitation.
Featuring Industry Insiders
Sudbury’s tourism and culture industries are full of interesting people. This month we are shining a light on someone whose enthusiasm for the community is contagious, like something that might ooze off one of his creepy creations. Read more…
Tourism Partner Meetings
Our Tourism Partner Update & Exchange meetings are held the first Thursday of every month. You may view the previous meeting presentations below:
Important Notice: In place of a November partner meeting, we would encourage all of our partners to sign up for the Northern Ontario Tourism Summit, November 14-16, 2016 at the Holiday Inn. Approximately 200 registrants are expected - a great networking opportunity, on top of the good eats, informative sessions and a range of keynote speakers.
Our next regular meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 1st at the Art Gallery of Sudbury, starting at 9:30 a.m. Save the date! Invitations to follow. Come and join your peers for coffee, conversation and industry insights.
Thanksgiving weekend marked the end of The 2016 Market season. A report of the seasons' successes will be available in an upcoming newsletter issue.
The Terror Train at NORMHC
The Terror Train 6077 presents The Return of the Nightmare at the North Pole. Running Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, October 1st to October 30th. www.normhc.ca
Halloween at Dynamic Earth
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, October 7th to October 30th
Explore Pumpkinferno™, an enchanting outdoor exhibit featuring thousands of hand-carved pumpkins set against a glowing Sudbury backdrop and then descend underground to the Zombie Tunnel of Terror, Canada's only underground haunted house. dynamicearth.ca
Celebrate Ontario application intake is now open. The deadline is November 8th, 2016. If you missed the webinars offered, you can review the presentation here.
You may note some of the changes to the application process, for example, marketing costs are now eligible expenses when they are targeted to out of town guests. Ask US how we can help with your marketing to external markets!
Adanac Ski Hill
Passes Now Available
Early bird ski passes are now on sale. Season passes purchased before December 18th will be available at early bird pricing. The City of Greater Sudbury will once again have the Ski 2 Flex Passes available. The Ski 2 Season Pass offers unlimited fun at Adanac and Lively Ski Hills for one, reduced price. For more information and rates visit www.greatersudbury.ca/ski
Have Information or Updates to Share with the Tourism Partners?
If you have newsworthy items you would like us to share with the partners in a future edition of our monthly newsletter, email email@example.com by the first Friday of any given month and reference "newsletter" in the subject line. The Newsletter is typically distributed by the second Friday of each month.